Friday, September 11, 2020

In 1998 I came to NYC with my parents to visit my sister who was studying here. I was mesmerized by the city – it was the most magical place I had ever been. It was so magnetic, this feeling that I belonged here. I felt so tiny and insignificant in this big city and that made me feel so alive and powerful. I knew from the moment I got out of the cab in midtown that this was where I needed to be. New York has this way of making you feel like it doesn’t matter who you are, what you look like, where you’re from… which means you can be exactly who you want to be. It’s the most amazing freedom there is. And I felt it. Every honking cab, blinking light, and smell of nuts and pavement called to me. The feeling burned inside of me from that day on, until 6 years later I finally moved to NY, and I have never looked back. NYC is such a magical place for me, and has given me so much. I feel like this city is part of my identity, and as I sit here writing, I have tears streaming down my cheeks… Today is a good day to REMEMBER. It’s a good day to honor the heroes and remember those who are gone. It’s a good day to cherish this spectacular city and everything crazy, beautiful, magical, and special about this place. New York City, I love you. 🌇🌃🤍