Thursday, May 31, 2018

TBT 2012, I went to see Shantell Martin doing a live painting event / meet and greet and had the joy of meeting her briefly. She gave me this poster and I said to her, “I love your work, maybe we could collaborate sometime.” I showed her that I had a black Krink marker in my pocket... she replied, “sure, you can start by coloring in this poster!” 🌈πŸ”₯πŸ–€⚡️ I hung the poster in my apt and often asked myself that same question that Shantell asked herself years ago. “Who am I?” And the more I thought about it the more I loved her work AND the more I began to actually discover myself. I don’t use black Krink markers anymore, and I don’t have all the answers. But I know much more who EYE AM now, and I finally was ready to color in her poster like she suggested. πŸ’›πŸ’™πŸ’œπŸ’–πŸ’šπŸ–€ So @shantell_martin, thank you for the inspiration, 6 years later, here is my colored-in poster. I love color and it was pleasure to do it. Thank you. πŸ™πŸ» YOU are YOU, and EYE AM ME! πŸ‘ πŸ’–πŸ’™⚡️ Art by Jason Naylor